Time and again, we hear stories about people who are afraid of retirement. It’s not always financial fears that scare them. Rather, it’s emotions that get in the way.
Many workers equate their career with their identity. These people find themselves feeling a bit lost when they finally leave the workforce (whether by choice or by force).
Having placed so much weight on their work over the past 50 years, they don’t know who they are anymore.
One of the best pieces of advice we’ve ever heard is, “Don’t retirement from a job. Retire to something else.”
That’s why, on this new episode of the Retirement Solutions Show with Oakmont Advisory Group, we discuss finding meaning in life beyond work.
- Why the fear of the unknown keeps people from retirement.
- Have a retirement date in mind and work mindfully towards it.
- Live life as you go, because there are no guarantees in life.
- Find an advisor who will be a partner on your journey and will take your financial situation personally.
Other topics discussed:
- [9:38] The cost of waiting to seek help with retirement planning. Why you should take action sooner than later.
- [11:53] How retirement planning has evolved of the past 45 years.
- [19:48] The importance of having a written financial plan.
- [25:00] Drunk shopping and other common financial mistakes we see far too often.
- [29:15] What you need to know about taxes and your Social Security benefits.
- [34:40] Attorney Matt Danner on how easy it can be to go from an “OK” legacy plan to a “GOOD!” estate plan.
- [42:45] Understanding fees on your retirement accounts.
- [47:47] Why two-income couples are often less prepared for retirement. (MarketWatch Article)
Never miss an episode!
Enter your email below to get new episodes delivered straight to your inbox each week.